Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's a purple kind of night!

Helloooo!!!! Long time no cook! I was finally able to get to my CSA this week as Monday was a holiday. I absolutely loved getting all those fresh veggies and fruit, and tonight I put them to good use.

Roasted brussels sprouts and purple cauliflower: this was so easy to make. I let the cast-iron pan heat in the oven as it was pre-heating. Meanwhile, trim and halve the brussels sprouts and cut the cauliflower into florets. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well.

Roast for 15 minutes or so and serve warm. YUMM!!!
















The second purple dish: smashed purple potato salad. I was going through the fridge and really needed to get use up some of the potatoes and I remembered coming this recipe on one of my favorite cooking websites: smittenkitchen.com.

This is just as simple as roasting the brussels sprouts. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Once cooked, peel and smash in a bowl using a fork. Add a handful of finely chopped red onion or shallots, handful of finely chopped cilantro (the original recipe called for parsley, but I only had cilantro on hand) and lemon juice. Salt & pepper to taste and mix well.


As I was eating the potatoes, I kept thinking "what does this remind me of??" It finally came to me! Bhel puri! It was the combination of cooked potatoes, onion and cilantro. All it needed was some bhel mix. But that will be for another day and another post.

ps - btw did you know that it's brussels sprouts? All along I was saying "brussel sprouts". who knew!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea it was 'brussels sprouts'. At the same time, I don't think I will change my ways...singular brussel and plural sprouts forever!

    ReplyDelete